Five teens on a camping trip are attacked by a lake monster born of atomic waste! Two scientists work with the teens to stop the creature before it is too late in this campy musical adaptation of the black-and-white cult favorite film.
The Monster of Phantom Lake: The Musical! follows guitar-slinging scientist, Professor Jackson, and his smitten graduate student, Stephanie Yates, on a research trip to picturesque Phantom Lake. After meeting five swell teenage campers in the forest, the group soon discover that reckless disposal of “atomic waste” has transformed a shell-shocked WWII soldier into a terrifying mutant algae monster! Can the scientists, teens, and local canoe cops stop the monster before it’s too late?
The playfully inventive score features catchy tunes inspired by Golden Age Broadway musicals, 1950s rock-n-roll, and vintage science fiction in this NEW MUSICAL by Adam Boll (music/lyrics) & Christopher R. Mihm (book). The show has a vibe that’s similar to Little Shop of Horrors or Young Frankenstein while still feeling unique. It’s not an over-the-top parody; it treats bad sci-fi B-movies the same way The Music Man treats 1912 Iowa.
Recent customer reviews of the musical:
”A brilliant work of art. The music is unexpectedly outstanding. The story line moves along at an enjoyable pace and the acting is fantastic. Adam Boll takes it to the next level with his catchy and well written tunes. You don’t want to miss this new musical. It’ll knock your socks off!”
”I found this to be funny, intriguing, entertaining, musically varied and FUN… I enjoyed this CD more than I expected – good story and good music and a lot of tongue in cheek.”
”…a miraculous production… the musical transforms the original film into a far more light-hearted affair, much like the musicalization of Little Shop Of Horrors did from Roger Corman’s original film. Adam Boll’s score is a canny pastiche of a variety of musical styles from the 20th Century… being a HUGE musical theater fan, and owning a large collection of cast album recordings, I can state that I have heard MANY Broadway cast recordings which are far less fun and memorable than this.”
Benefits of licensing The Monster of Phantom Lake: The Musical! for performance by your theatre organization:
- Individualized service catered to your organization by people who care about the success of your production (you work with the show’s writers!)
- Professionally formatted, printed, and bound materials of similar (or higher) quality than what you would receive from one of the big theatrical licensing companies
- Production packages include all of the librettos/scripts, orchestra books, and conductor/piano accompanist scores that you need to perform the show
- Rehearsal backing tracks that fully match the music printed in the libretto and on the cast recording CD is included with your rental at no extra cost! (A great option for productions where having a live orchestra isn’t possible.)
- We provide logos for use in your advertising materials free of charge, and we can offer additional personalized graphic design as well as transpositions of vocal and orchestra parts on demand.
The Monster of Phantom Lake: The Musical! premiered at the Mabel Tainter Center for the Arts in Menomonie, Wisconsin in the summer of 2016 to rave reviews. The excitement of the premiere run was captured through an original cast recording CD and multi-camera recording of the live show on DVD, both of which are available on the Merchandise page.
Music & Lyrics by: Adam Boll
Book by: Christopher R. Mihm
Approximate Show Length: 1 hour 50 minutes (2 acts)
Cast Size: 10+ (ensemble cast)
Vocal Demands: Moderate
Dance Requirements: Minimal
Orchestra Size: Medium (14)
Recommended for: Community / University / High School / Dinner Theatre
Rating: PG (mildly frightening scenes; some innuendo / suggestive dialogue)
Tags: strong leading roles, musical comedy, campy / sci-fi / monster / horror genres, adapted from film, environmental themes
Next page: Songs from the show